Wednesday 23 January 2008

Souljah Boy Vs GZA (Seperating the real from the fake)




"I wouldn’t even rap against the Genius. I’d put up someone who was born in ’66 to go against the Genius so it can be a tie. He’s got like 50 years on me. I wouldn’t even associate with the Genius. [In the video] he was looking like I stole his money or something"

"I just heard 50 Cent talking about the Genius saying he had an Impala his age. Well, that’s the Genius for you. [Laughs] He has no choice. He got famous for five little minutes, but he had to sacrifice a relationship with Soulja Boy. Now it’s gone. I ain’t gonna be like 'F the GZA' ‘cause I ain’t never met that dude."
- Souljah Boy


Now when I first read that statement I wasn't at all surprised. I wasn't surprised by Souljah Boy's blatant lack of respect for a legend in the game, or that he only responded after he heard 50 Cent comment on the issue even though GZA called him out over a month ago but what shocked me is the comments that followed it.
Now I read about this on hiphopdx.com a few days ago (check the link below)

Soulja Boy Disses The GZA? | Hip Hop News > HipHopDX.com

and couldn't believe my eyes. There were actually people defending Souljah Boy's bland uninspiring music and saying stuff like "stop hatin on Souljah Boy he gettin money" or "GZA's just mad coz he old" and the disrespect continued to fill up the page. It became the people that respect the lyrics over people that respect money and fame. I was at the show where GZA began his rant against 50 & Souljah Boy and at the time I was thinkin this is some bullshit get on with the show but I don't think I realised how bad the situation really was. I mean for GZA it must be mad hard dude is 41 so he's really been there from the begininng of this. And along with Wu-Tang helped take hip hop to a next level now he's got to take a back seat while people like Souljah Boy make a mockery out of everything he has helped to build.

The problem here is that these kids are just too damn young to understand where hip hop has come from to get to this point. They are the MTV generation that are so used to seeing rappers flaunting money, cars & hoes on their screens they think that represents success and if you ain't making that much money you are simply just not good enough a rapper. I think it really speaks volumes that Souljah Boy can make his song on Fruity Loops demo software and actually have a hit record. I think that really sums up how fucked up this music biz is and what it takes to have a succesful song is clearly not that much anymore.

Maybe Im just gettin old but back in the day this shit would not have been able to slide. Imagine Vanilla Ice against Ice Cube or the guy that did the "I like big butts and I can not lie" VS Rakim they would be absolutley no doubt, no question in people's minds who is coming out on top and where the real talent lies. Mc Hammer is a great example dude was mad successful when he first came out but got clowned by everyone from 3rd Bass to LL Cool J and his career went down the toilet. YOU HAD TO HAVE SKILLS PERIOD!! Yeah ok you might have people in "the burbs" going crazy over your shit but the streets where not feelin you.

So why now do we give artist's a pass that are clearly whack as fuck but just started a new dance craze. Is this what it has become? When EPMD made the record "The Crossover" I bet they had no idea it was gonna be this bad. There is no such thing as a crossover record now every single is geared towards the mass public.

For me I don't give a shit if a million people go to your myspace or give you hits on youtube that just a million muthafuckas I want absolutley nothing to do with. If you ain't got skills then why are you even rappin for?
Busta Rhymes said it best on his intro to his debut album "The Coming" if you ain't bringing nothing new to the table and if you are not adding something new to this great culture then leave it alone.

I hope one of Wu-Tang's seeds slap the shit out of Souljah Boy and get it on camera to what you faggots gonna be saying then? "They hatin coz he gettin money" as Slick Rick would say Lick the Balls.

Real hip hop for life!!

No comments: